Monday, March 19, 2012

If You Don't Know Me By Now...

OK, So last night Mo and I went to an old school concert.  One song beautifully sang was, "If You Don't Know Me By Now".  While sitting there enjoying the entertainment, I thought of the fact that while the song is speaking of a romantic relationship, the title reminded me of what our Pastor has been teaching us; "Know them that labor among you" (part of 1 Thes 5:13).  To want to get to know someone is a CHOICE!  If you know someone, you KNOW what's true about their character!

Sometimes I wonder if Mo wrote the BOOK about me!  Many times, I am pretty naive in my own reality.  For example, before we attended an anger management course, I (honestly and sincerely) admitted to not getting angry.  Mo checked me with a smile, "Yes you do!  You were just angry about something yesterday!" And then she proceeded to remind me of my "episode"...  While striving for perfection, I sometimes "forget" my imperfections.  I think that drives Mo (and my husband) BANANAS! (Batting my eyes...LOL!)

But here's the deal.  Get to know those who are among you, who you choose to spend time with.  Know their likes and dislikes in order to accept and respect them.  Know their dreams and goals in order to support, encourage, and pray for them.  Know their passions and causes true to their hearts in order to expand your knowledge and find ways to help.  Know their family, spouses, and children in order to extend the relationship to others.  On the flip side, your FRIEND should want to know these things about you.  If you are having a one-sided experience, it's just not gonna work. 

Mo and I respect one another, because we have CHOSEN to KNOW each other- the good, the bad, the funny, the sad, the unrealistic, the naive, and yes, the ANGRY... LOL!  It takes time, it takes emotions, and it takes maturity.  But the payoff, is a blessing!

Tone
For Real

1 comment: