Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Give Love on Christmas Day!

Mo and I have spent um, several Christmas holidays together. When we met, in the 7th grade, we bonded right away.  So, literally that following Christmas, I was at her grandmother's house.  And I wasn't just there for food, I ended up going home with presents!  This happened for a few years, until we thought we were grown:)
That was a difficult period of time in my house.  We had been in the state for a year at that point, with no family.  I know it was hard for my mother and sister as well because we had such a close extended family in Wisconsin.  We celebrated all holidays together.  We had potlucks and Round Robins once every month.  So being here without family was tough. 

Mo and I both come from very close knit families, and where someone is always welcome to join us.  And our families both always try to help others in any way they could.  Our parents taught us about being smart, and being kind!  Mo's parents and brother ALWAYS considered me one of them.  And still, today, it's the same.  On the flipside, Mo knows that my mom is her "Mommy" too, and so on!

The cool thing is once we learned about the true reason for the season, it makes it easy to not focus on money or gifts.  We are FRIENDS - that's a gift.  So, we agree, don't get all pressured to buy people things that 1) you can't afford, and 2) are not from the heart.  You know what I mean...  You go buy a green sweater, cuz it was marked down, when you know that person can't stand the color!  Or, you regift something that was given to you because you KNOW you will NEVER use that thing! (Now I don't mind regifting - but please make sure it makes sense!)

If you are buying a gift for a friend, this year, make it personal. Think about his/her interests.  Recall things that person has mentioned to you in recent months.  This year, do something that you know would make that person feel the LOVE.  Love is actually in the details, so along with any gift giving, be sure to
Give Love On Christmas Day!

Blessings!
Tone For Real

No comments:

Post a Comment